Brief content overview
The course is aimed at scientific personnel who wish to become more proficient in illustration tools, illustration concepts and visual communication techniques. The focus lies on preparation of illustrations, photos and montages for publication and/or for presentations but will also cover aspects on visual and verbal communication strategies.
The course will be two plus one full days and focus around tools and techniques suitable for generation of high quality scientific illustrations. Examples will be conducted using the Abobe Creative Suite 6 software package with a focus on Illustrator, InDesign and Acrobat Professional, but the principles and tips will be broadly applicable. No prior experience in these specific software tools is required.
The course will contain a mix of lectures and case studies, but also personal hands on work.
Goals with the course
At the end of the course you should have improved knowledge in:
- How a digital image is constructed and differences between file formats
- How and when to use Illustrator and InDesign in generation of illustrations and data/photo montages
- How a vector-based illustration is constructed and how to preserve the quality throughout the workflow
- How to prepare your illustrations for on line submission to a journal to improve the final quality
- How to work with PDF files for data import into Illustrator and for utilization in scientific communication
The entire course will be held in English