Faculty of Medicine's internal website


Practical information for new PhD students

Welcome to the Faculty of Medicine and to Lund University!

Getting settled at Lund University

Below you will find information to assist in preparing for and securing a smooth start as an international doctoral candidate. There are a number of practical and administrative tasks to take care of in order to get settled in as a resident in Lund or Malmö and as a student at the Faculty of Medicine at Lund University. You can prepare by going through the information provided by the two links below:

The information above applies for doctoral candidates that are formally employed at Lund University. For those doctoral candidates funded by an external scholarship, please see the following:

Migration Issues

Below is a link to a guide that will help you understand and take the necessary steps towards securing your legal migration status in Sweden:

Migration issues 

Working conditions

On the link below you will find information about being a public employee, about salary and benefits, annual leave, intellectual property rights and much more: 

Working conditions


Before you arrive in Lund or Malmö, you are highly recommended to secure housing. Initially, your host department should assist you in finding accommodation. Later, we expect that you manage most of this by yourself. The housing market in Lund and Malmö is quite competitive, so it is advised you take the time to find a place to live. For links to various accommodation opportunities, take a look at the links below: 


As an employee of Lund University, you are covered by a number of insurance policies. To read more and for terms and conditions, please see the following:

Health care

You and your family should register at a local healthcare centre (Vårdcentral). There are a number of centres to choose from, but they are largely similar in terms of fees and booking pro- cedures. A complete list of centres (in Swedish).

You’ll need to fill in a form and thereby officially choose your healthcare provider. NB: For small children there are separate clinics (“Barnavårdcentral, BVC”), often located within the healthcare centre.

Swedish for University Staff

Lund University offers Swedish language courses for employees with rapid progression. Depending on your previous knowledge of Swedish you can take courses at five different levels.

Read more about courses in Swedish

Specific information for PhD students at the Faculty of Medicine

In the Handbook for new PhD students, you will find much of what you initially need for your time at the Faculty of Medicine.

For more detailed information on the rules, requirements and regulations governing the PhD program, please see:

Access, support and contact information at the Faculty of Medicine

First and foremost, make sure you get a LUCAT ID. LUCAT is Lund University's directory of staff and units, owned by the University, with the university's central IT office (LDC) ultimately responsible for running it. A registration in LUCAT generates an email address and makes an identity and password available, which are necessary to access certain services and functions that the University offers. Contact the personnel officer of your research unit to obtain your LUCAT ID.

You will need an electronic keycard to get access to the non-public parts of the buildings you will be working. There is a key card that is used throughout the university and there are separate key cards that are issued by each institute/building (BMC, CRC, etc.). For all of these passes, you will need a LUCAT ID, which should have been activated at least 24 hours before.

For the electronic keycard that is used throughout the whole university, there are a few locations in Lund where you can get one. Check the link below for office locations and opening hours for these cards. 

For contact details at the Faculty and Departmental office as well as service, facilities and IT-support, please see:

Medicine Doctoral Student Council

The Council of Doctoral Students in Medicine (MDR) is the part of Lund's Doctoral Student's Union which represents the interests of doctoral students in a series of boards and committees in the Faculty of Medicine. on their homepage you can find contact information for the chair and other members.

Site overview