Faculty of Medicine's internal website


Personal Identity Number

After receiving a residence permit valid for at least one year, you must apply for a personal identity number (personnummer) at the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).  As a holder of a personal ID number, you are entitled to social and healthcare benefits and allowances. You will be able to use this number to simplify a whole range of transactions in the Swedish society, such as acquiring an identity card, opening a bank account and visiting a doctor.

Receiving your personal ID number (personnummer) may take 1-2 months - it will be sent to your home address.

Please note! The Tax office only issues Personal Identity Numbers to individuals staying in Sweden for 365 days or more.

How to apply for a Personal Identity Number

To be registered in the Swedish population registry and receive a Personal Identity Number you must apply in person to the Swedish Tax Agency. See the lists below for required documents to bring with you:

EU / EEA / Nordic citizens

  • Valid passport
  • Letter of Invitation/Scholarship Contract/Employment Contract
  • Original documentation proving marital status
  • Birth certificates if you have children
  • Right of residence (request an application form from Hülya Leeb-Lundberg)

Swiss citizens must apply for a residence permit in order to stay for longer than three months.

Non EU citizens 

  • Valid passport
  • Residence permit (must be valid for 365 days or more)
  • Marriage certificate or other document that confirms your relation to a family member who is an EEA citizen and has right of residence in Sweden. Please bring also a residence permit card if you have one.
  • Original documentation proving marital status
  • Birth certificates if you have children


Hülya Leeb-Lundberg
International Academic Staff Support (IASS)

Tel: +46 46 222 6227

Site overview