Faculty of Medicine's internal website


How to get a Swedish ID card

As a resident of Sweden, you need a Swedish ID-card. ID cards are issued by the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). You can use the ID card as proof of identity and proof of age, for example when you collect prescription medication from the pharmacy, pay by credit card in stores, and conduct bank transactions. Since May 5, 2015, many Swedish banks including Nordea Bank require a Swedish ID Card to open a bank account. You may open an account in any bank you wish. Lund University pays salaries through Nordea Bank. Please note that if you have a child, the child needs to be at least 13 years of age to receive an ID card. Furthermore parent/guardian approval is necessary if you are less than 18 years of age.

Pay the application fee

The Tax Agency office in Malmö issues Swedish ID cards. To apply for an ID card, you must first pay the application fee of 400 SEK. Pay your fee through either of the following accounts:

If you are paying from a Swedish bank account

  • Pay the application fee via bank giro number 389-0100 (Swedbank).

If you are paying from an overseas bank account, use the following codes:

  • Account number: 1281 012 161 3 (Danske Bank)
  • IBAN (International Bank Account Number): SE55 1200 0000 0128 1012 1613
  • Address: Danske Bank, Norrmalmstorg 1, 103 92, Stockholm, Sweden

Do not forget to state your personal identity number in the OCR field (as a reference number) or message field if you pay via internet banking. If you use a paying-in form or if the payment is made at a kiosk or similar place that offers giro payment, you must state your personal identity number when paying.

If you have not paid your application fee before going to the Tax Agency office in Malmö, you will not be permitted to apply. Remember that it takes at least one working day for your payment to arrive at the Tax Agency. Therefore, pay the fee well in advance of your visit to the Tax Agency to ensure that they have received it before you apply. Print out and keep the payment receipt, as you need to show it when you visit the Tax Agency office. If you pay via the internet, remember to quote your personal identity number in the field for messages/other information.

Make an appointment for your ID card application

In order to apply for a Swedish ID card, you must make an appointment to visit one of the Swedish tax agency's (Skatteverket) offices in person. Only certain offices issue ID cards.

Opening hours for the Tax Agency office in Malmö:

Monday-Wednesday: 10:00-16:00
Thursday: 10:00-18:00
Friday: 10:00-16:00
Visiting address: Kattsundsgatan 7, 211 26, Malmö
How to get there: Take the train from Lund C to Malmö C. Walk across the bridge and continue on Bruksgatan, then turn left on Östergatan and then right on Kattsundsgatan (right by the church). The Tax Agency (Skatteverket) will be on your right.

What you need to bring

EU and non-EU citizens need to bring the following to the Tax Agency office (MALMÖ):

  • Receipt of payment of 400 SEK for the Swedish ID card (request an inbetalning girering/payment transfer form from Forex Bank or Hülya Leeb-Lundberg, or obtain a personal internet bank account payment receipt)
  • Valid Passport (for 365 days or more) 
  • EU passport issued as of 1 September 2006 or later
  • Residence Permit Card (Non-EU citizens only)
  • Personal Identity Number (bring the document Folkbokföringsärende Beslut/ National Registration Decision) that you received from the Tax Agency that informs you that you were given a Personal Identity Number)
  • Your local, office, or mobile telephone number
  • Your local home address in Sweden (Rental contract)
  • You will sign your electronic card while you are at the Tax Agency

ID cards from other countries are not valid.

Please note: National ID cards from a different country are not approved ID documents and cannot be used as proof of your identity. This is because national ID cards are not covered by a common standard in the European Union Council Regulation (EC) 2252/2004.

How to obtain the ID card once it is ready

Typically, it takes about two weeks from the time you apply for the ID card until it is ready to be picked up at the Tax Agency. However, it may take more time if it is necessary to further investigate certain information in your application. Once the ID card is ready, you will receive a letter “Aviseringsbrev” from the Tax Agency. You need to bring this letter when you collect the ID card at the Tax Agency.

The above information is adapted from the Swedish Tax Agency home page:


Hülya Leeb-Lundberg
International Academic Staff Support (IASS)

Tel: +46 46 222 6227

Site overview