Future Faculty is pleased to present our plan for the 2021-2022 mentorship program for early career researchers that are actively motivated to pursue a career in academia. The aim of this mentorship program is to give early career academics (ECAs) the opportunity to get personal and relevant support and guidance essential to their academic career. The program will encourage ECAs to enhance their skills and experience needed for individual development and a successful career in academia.
Getting a clear direction early in your academic career is essential for your professional progress. The program will encourage you to boost your skills and engage in activities that promotes individual development and successful career in academia. This program also encourages closer interactions between early investigators and established PIs.
NOTE: The mentorship program has extended it's application deadline to the 17th of May.
The 2021-2022 program will accept up to 20 mentees who have been selected according to clear eligibility and selection criteria. These mentees will be matched to suitable mentors chosen from researchers within the Faculty of Medicine.
The program will run for September 2021 until June 2022.
Application for mentees:
The mentorship program is open to all researchers at the stages of postdocs to young PIs within the Faculty of Medicine.
To be eligible to participate as a mentee in the mentorship program, the applicant must:
- have a Doctoral degree (PhD),
- Be a member of Future Faculty (or eligible to become a member),
- Intend to be affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine for the duration of the whole program.
- Be fully committed and motivated to complete the program
How to apply to the mentorship program:
- Perform a self-assessment questionnaire. The Individual Development Plan (IDP) self-assessment questionnaire (link below) is developed by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB). It is important that you and reflect upon the result within the motivation text below. Link to self-assessment questionnaire: https://myidp.sciencecareers.org/.
- Fill out the questionnaire and short motivation (https://sunet.artologik.net/lu/Survey/33523). The questionnaire and motivation is important for the mentee-mentor matching process.
- Send us a short curriculum vitae (CV) to the Future Faculty email.
The motivation letter should not be longer than 500 words and include the following:
- What is your motivation to participate?
- Reflection on self-assessment results:What steps have you already taken to achieve your career goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- What do you hope to achieve with the program and your mentor?
For the application to be considered all parts must be completed.
Deadline: 17th May 2021
The mentors selected for this program are emerging prosperous researchers affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine and matched to each mentee based on a small questionnaires and their overall suitability
To be eligible to be a mentor in the program, a researcher must meet the following criteria:
- Has an active career in academia at Lund University or is affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine,
- Is or is close to becoming a Docent,
- Can fully commit to the program; therefore be available for personal meetings during the whole program (minimum six meetings),
- Must advocate Future Faculty values and to uphold academic integrity which includes; honesty, trust, fairness, respect, responsibility, and courage.
If you are interested in being a mentor in this program, please send us an expression if interest and a short CV to the Future Faculty email address before 11th April 2021.